Aoife Clark has just become the first Irish rider to win Blenheim. Horse magazine has 5 little-known facts about the eventer.
Aoife Clark made history by becoming the first Irish rider to win Blenheim International Horse trials (13 - 15 September). It was Aoife's first win at three star level and despite going into the final phase with only a 1.5 penalty lead over Jean Teulere, she stayed cool under pressure to produce a beautiful clear on Fenyas Elegance (pictured above).
Here are 5 things you didn't know about this talented rider:
1. Aoife is very superstitious: "I can't wear anything new for a competition and the lorry is never packed in advance. My head girl once found a four leaf clover at a previous Blenheim and I carried it with me for the whole show.
2. She could live off cheese and mayonnaise sandwiches- and Rosé wine.
3. She completed the London marathon in an impressive 4 hours and 3 minutes.
4. Irish phrases can often be heard on the yard, "Ca bhfuil" (where is) is used most often, generally followed by "my phone"!
5. Aoife has a fear of flying, which is unfortunate as her husband flies helicopters for a living.
Love Horse Riding? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!
Ever fancied being famous? If you would like your equine partner to appear in the pages of Horse magazine, then read on and find out how to apply...
Got a Horse magazine problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person